Tip of the top »   This blog about the daily life in Koh Samui is updated several times a week. Please come back regularly
Kohsamui.org header and logo Kohsamui.org top advertisement
Koh Tao
Own land
Book hotels
Kohsamui.org - Home Koh Samui hotels - Really low rates! Svenska ไทย Deutsch Join our Facebook Group Photos from Thailand Hotel reservation Real Samui Properties
      More than 7 million unique visitors since February 1999   Share: 

A Blog about the Daily Life on the Tropical Island of Koh Samui

Olle is blogging A few Words about Me

 My name is: Olle
 I am living in: Lamai Beach, Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand
 I am originally from: Stockholm, the capital of Sweden
 Doing for Kohsamui.org: Writing a blog about my life here
 How about my life here: Please read my blog below, my friends

Good Surprise

Text by Olle - Living on Lamai Beach - Thursday, October 14, 2010

Today we went up early in the morning. Early for being us anyway. After a dog walk we drove off to fix my driver license and Nala tagged along since it was cloudy weather. We got there soon after 8 and I could hand over the papers that at 10 o'clock the day before were not welcomed. We also had to go make an extra copy of all the papers because I wanted license to drive car as well as motorcycle which I have on my Swedish drivers license. Everything is really done in a way to create as much paper as it possible can. I was then told to wait 40 minutes for the eye test. We went outside and let Nala stroll around on the parking lot and it did not take long until a few dogs showed up too see who the new girl was but they kept their distance.

After 40 minutes I went back inside and after about 15 minutes the test started, but not for me. We were 4 people who were about to change to a Thai license and there were about 20-30 who were about to get the license for the first time. They choose to start with the about 30 people. This meant that we had to wait about an hour and then we could make our test which took about 5 minutes. The test included to be able to tell what color a girl pointed to on a board. There were big dots close to each other in green, red and yellow colors so that was kind of easy. In the next test I should press my foot on a pedal and when a green light went red I had to press another pedal within a certain time. That one was kind of easy too. In test tree there were two sticks places beside each other inside a machine. One of the sticks could be moved by a remote control back and forth and I was supposed to place the moving stick next to the other to prove I had depth of vision. I passed as well. In the last test I placed my head in a machine which had two lights at the sides and then I had to say what color the lights were to prove I had wide-angle view. I then went back to the first place where they took my photo and 5 minutes later I got my two drivers license, yes two, they have one card for motorcycle and one for car. I was surprised that I got the cards right away, great, one more thing completed.

The rest of the day has been spent by the computer in a cold nice climate. Now it is time for me to call my parents in Sweden and then relax my eyes in front of a movie.

Mr Cobra

Text by Olle - Living on Lamai Beach - Wednesday, October 13, 2010

This morning we had plan on actually applying for my drivers license but when we got there they had changed the time for when this was possible. They had now cut off 30 minutes of what was told a few days ago and said we had to come back tomorrow. It is only possible to change to a Thai license during an hour in the morning. I do not know why but it was because they could only do the eye exam during this time. Maybe they have a doctor at their facilities one hour everyday. When I did the exam at the clinic I thought they would check the eyes as well. Tomorrow morning we will drive off the 15 km again and hopefully be able to hand over some papers. I do not think I will see any license in a while, my guess is that the papers will be sent off to another department. At least I get to know about many procedures here.

Today we had sun in the morning but by noon the clouds were covering the sky and then it started to rain. Nui had started to prepare for work but had to change her plans. It really has been cloudy and rainy for a while now. It is bad for Nui but it is kind of refreshing with a somewhat colder climate for a change. In the afternoon I went for a walk with the dogs and Nala was just about to wander off in the green grass when I saw a more than 1.5 meter long snake just 2 meters away from us. For the first time I could watch a cobra in close distance. I think it was a rather small king cobra but it could also had been a big monocle cobra. After I had watched it for a while and really checked it out while it was completely still probably thinking about his next move he did a 180 degree turn and went away in very high speed. I have seen some nasty pictures of people who got bitten by cobras and those pictures are about the nastiest I have seen.

Driving Back and Forth

Text by Olle - Living on Lamai Beach - Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today we went to get my medical exam done that is needed to get my drivers license. Before we left I went a walk with Nala and she already had figured out that we were about to go somewhere so she sat down right behind the car when we got back to the house. Since the weather was cloudy I thought she could come along. On sunny days she cannot be left in the car because of the extreme heat that comes very fast but today that was not an issue at all. We first went to a hospital in Nathon but we would have to wait for about three hours and we did not feel that we wanted to sit among sick people for that long so we went back home. On our way back when we were almost back home again we stopped by a clinic to see if they could have it done which they could. They also did it for the same price as the hospital which was unbelievable, clinics are often a lot more expensive. The exam took about 40 seconds. During this time they checked the blood pressure and listened to my heart. I guess the reason to these exams are to check that you are in good condition so you do not die behind the wheels, with driving crazy as a result. If that is the reason I think there are about 1 million other things that would prevent accidents in a better way.

Nala was happy to be in the car, she sat in the back and looked out through the window all the time, to say she loves to be in the car is an understatement. The weather kept being cloudy all day and it also came some rain in the afternoon again.

Previous posts 2010: Week 41 | Week 40 | Week 39 | Week 38 | Week 37 | Week 36 | Week 35 | Week 34 | Week 33 | Week 32 | Week 31 | Week 30 | Week 29 | Week 28 | Week 27 | Week 26 | Week 25 | Week 24 | Week 23 | Week 22 | Week 21 | Week 20 | Week 19 | Week 18 | Week 17 | Week 16 | Week 15 | Week 14 | Week 13 | Week 12 | Week 11 | Week 10 | Week 09 | Week 08 | Week 07 | Week 06 | Week 05 | Week 04 | Week 03 | Week 02 | Week 01 |

Previous posts: 2009

Like us on Facebook

Share this Page

Advertise here

Beach Republic
The Library
Paradise Beach Resort
Care about the environment
Rawadee Computer Shop
Book your dream villa on Samui
Don't drive drunk!
HDF - Mercy Centre

Advertise here

More on Kohsamui.org:

About us     Contact us     Advertise     FAQ     Links
Link us     Classifieds     Sitemap     Homes     Shop
Rent land     Cooking     Flowers     Chat     Design

Privacy and Safety - Your personal information will never be sold or given away. Payments made through this site are SSL encrypted. Your safety is our priority!

Development - 1999-2013. This Koh Samui portal is developed by Yenit Company Limited. The majority of the photos are taken by Jens Weegar ( Facebook ).

License - Licensed under Creative Commons - Do only use our material for noncommercial purposes. Commercial use is prohibited without our permission.

Unique visitors since February, 1999: